Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Flash Fiction Challenge

Hi, blog friends! Happy Monday, if there is such a thing. Here's my flash fiction entry for the first Campaigner Challenge. Ever one to rise to the challenge, I fit in the word 'orange' as well as writing in the vein of my usual genre, urban fantasy. Enjoy!

Shadows creep across the wall. I wish I could ignore them, like a normal person would. Someone else would see simple shades of pewter or ash, long vertical stripes, maybe the shape of a tree branch. Someone else could enjoy the sparkle of dust spinning in thick bars of afternoon sun, as the horizon begins to glow like a slice of orange. Someone else. Someone not like me.

Because I see the shadows as they stretch into something more. I know what hides within them. I feel the unfurling of their sinuous bodies as they stir in their resting places, to rise when the sun sleeps. To cross over on the shadows, the door between their world and ours. The clock ticks. Darkness deepens. I feel them waiting, waiting…

But I’m waiting, too. And when they come out to play, I’ll be ready. With steel and magic, I’ll meet them in the light of the moon. I’ll make them wish they’d stayed home in their beds. This is my realm, and the night is my time. And I’m not the best at sharing. Guess they’ll have to figure that out the hard way.

I went to a kind of creepy place with that... in a weird mood today. Oh wait, that's every day :) Anyways, hope the rest of your week goes well!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar